Assessment Grid with Symbols



When I taught pre-k and kindergarten, I found that I struggled with getting assessments done in an efficient and timely manner.  I really wanted a way that I could do a quick whole-class assessment of basic skills (uppercase, lowercase, numbers, shapes, colors, etc.)  instead of having to sit down with each student and say...

"Can you write a big A?"
"Now can you write a big B?"
"Big C?"  
"How about a big D?"
and on... and on... and on.  F-o-r-e-v-e-r  and ever and ever. (Literally 3 days out of each quarter)

... I wanted a way to do it quick.  A way to assess them and be able to use it immediately, send home, or bring out at conference time. 

I came up with these 'assessment grids' a few years ago and love, love, love them.  I remember seeing something like this in college, but not sure where.  Also, I don't remember coming across any with symbols (could be out there, but I have no idea).   They are perfect for the younger kiddos and for giving whole-class assessments.

They are grids with symbols instead of numbers and letters... because sometimes those itty-bitties don't know their numbers and letters yet.  Also, sometimes you have kids who write/draw in 8 inch font.  The boxes keep them from getting too crazy.... those darn 'helicopter arm' kids.

Click to download:     
  Grid with 12 Blocks                                      Grid with 30 Blocks



You can use them for lots of things!  Here's how I used them:

Step 1: Print a copy (I kept a lot in a folder).  Put the type/name of assessment at the bottom right corner (and date if you want).  Make copies for kids.
Step 2: Show them the symbols and make sure they know what each one is.  (I used large copies of the symbols during the assessment, so there was no confusion.)
Step 3: Pass the assessment grids out and ensure they can't see each other's papers 
Step 4: Give the assessment. (list below are ways I've used these) "In the box with the scissors, write a lowercase m.", "In the box with the envelope, write the number 3.", etc.
Step 5: Check it.  I used a highlighter to highlight boxes that 'needed work' (wrong).  I could have them fix the ones they missed, keep it for conferences (handwriting progress), or use it to make notes in my gradebook.
  • Whole-class, small group, or individual
  • Writing lowercase or lowercase letters
  • Writing numbers
  • Drawing shapes
  • Colors ("Color the scissor box yellow.')
  • Sight words (although they're probably advanced enough to "number their papers" by this point)
  • Writing sentences (12 block)
  • Counting ("In the box with the flower, put 13 dots.")
  • Greater than/less than/equal to (show problem on the board, they draw the symbol)
  • Beginning/Ending sounds ("In the scissor box, what sound does 'cat' begin with?")
  • Addition/Subtraction
  • Measurement (they each had a ruler and went around to different stations, labeled with the symbol, and measured an object)
  • Science vocabulary (again, with the symbol stations, they'd look at a picture and write down the vocabulary word shown)
  • TONS OF STUFF!  Seriously, you can adapt it to anything.  
Using this one above I knew which  uppercase letters A needed more work on.  I could also let her parents know easily.  :)  Easy peezy lemon squeezy.

Important: If you send it home make sure it's one that parents will understand (or staple the questions to it).  A grid of random things marked wrong is no help.

Hope you find this helpful and easy.  :)

{ashley}lllllllllllllll

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...